Barrett School is a community that values learning and believes respect is the foundation upon which our school is built.
Recognizing and accepting individual differences.
Expanding expectations for excellence based on educationally sound practices.
Supporting a safe school environment.
Promoting personal potential.
Enriching endeavors for all.
Celebrating a collaborative climate.
Together, building a strong foundation for excellence.
Barrett Elementary School opened it’s door in the Fall of 2001. We currently have 550 students (K-6). Our school’s population is a rich mix of students from various nations, representing a multitude of languages. Although we are a cross section of many nations, we are truly one community.
Our beautiful campus sits on 9.6 acres located at the corner of Barrett Ave. and Juan Hernandez Dr. The school is 4,775 square feet and includes a 4,200 square foot multipurpose room with a performance stage, a covered outdoor dining area, a 1,500 sq. ft. library and an outdoor playground and sports fields for softball, soccer, and additional physical education programs.
The school is named in honor of one of Morgan Hill’s pioneering families, the Barrett family. Mr. Carey Barrett was a trustee for the town of Morgan Hill in the early 1900’s. He was a member of the City Council and remained active in local government for a number of years. The Barrett family owned and operated a large dairy farm off Hill Road called the Crystal Springs Ranch, as well as fruit orchards south of San Jose. Barrett family members still reside in Morgan Hill.
Our students are active participants in the running of Barrett School. A safety patrol handles morning and afternoon traffic. A strong and active student council has participated in several community service projects including collecting books for Packard Hospital, letters and supplies for the troops, and holiday baskets for needy families. Activities also include theme days, lunch activities, staff appreciation, and Drug Awareness.
Our Home, School, and Community Club is an integral part of the success of Barrett School. This group of hard working and caring individuals help support our school reach its potential.
Barrett School is strengthened through many programs including:
- A GATE enrichment program addressing the needs of the gifted both within as well as outside the class.
- A Skills for Success after school program to help underachieving students reach grade level standards.
- A comprehensive ELL program that helps limited English students.
- Music programs for K-6 with vocal music K-4 and a choice of recorders or vocal instruction 5-6.
- Strong literacy programs with emphasis on Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop.
- Community support through numerous grants including Live Oak Foundation, Noyce Foundation, Philanthropic Ventures, Washington Mutual, Wells Fargo Bank, and Safe Schools.
- A variety of staff development including: Common Core, Guided Reading and Writing, Guided Language Acquisition Design (GLAD), Systematic ELD, Differentiation, Positive Discipline and Math Problem Solving.
The job of building a facility was finished in 2001, however our journey in educating our youth continues. With our enthusiastic and eager students, our talented and hard working staff, and our caring and supportive community, this journey is a fruitful one. We hope you will join the Barrett Team.
On-site after school daycare is provided through the YMCA, (408) 778-3225.