Latest News

Kinder Roundup FAQs

Roundup FAQ Parents Flyer

Frequently Asked Questions for TK/Kinder Roundup Parents


Q:What is Kinder Round-Up?

A: Families who anticipate enrolling their children in Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten for the coming school year should attend this fun and informative event. Kindergarten Roundup offers the students and parents a first-hand look at kindergarten and transitional kindergarten life, introduces parents to our schools, and allows attendees the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about how to help prepare their child for school. Parents who attend will also receive information about early enrollment.


Q: Will there be representatives from other agencies at the event?

A: Yes, there will be stations for MHU Food Service, Migrant, Healthier Kids Foundation, YMCA, Go Kids, CDC-Child Development Center, and the Morgan Hill Library.


Q: My child is in TK now. Do I have to complete online enrollment to register for Kindergarten? Do we have to attend the Roundup?

A: No. Students attending TK are already enrolled for kindergarten at their school of residence, regardless of where they attend our TK program. However, families will need to work with the school that their student currently attends to update their student’s immunization and health exam information. You are welcome to attend the Roundup to receive information to help get your child ready for school, but attendance is not required.

Q: Are transfers available for TK students? For example, if I have a 2nd grader already at a school that is not my school of residence.

A: We will only accept TK transfer requests for TK students with siblings at the requested school. The Transfer Request process will open online on January 10th, 2019.

Q: We really like the school where our TK student is currently attending. Can we stay at this school even though it’s not our school of residence?

A: If you would like to attend a school other than your school of residence, you will need to complete a Transfer Request Form online. This form will be available on the MHUSD Enrollment Center webpage beginning January 10, 2019.


Q: If I want my 5 year in TK instead of Kindergarten, what are their options?

A: If a parent wants to enroll a kinder-eligible student into TK, they must first enroll in Kindergarten. After the first 20 days of Kindergarten, an assessment will be completed by the teacher. The student may be placed into a TK classroom at that time.

Q: My child attends preschool (migrant or SPED) in the District. Do I have to register for TK or is it automatic?

A: Migrant preschool students who meet the age requirements do not have to turn in a new packet but do have to provide updated health information. SDC preschool students will have their next placement determined through the IEP process before the end of this school year.

Q: My student receives Speech services, do I have to register him/her for Kindergarten?

A: Yes, you will need to register your student online for Kindergarten at their school of residence. You should also try to attend TK/Kinder Roundup on November 3rd, 2018.


Q: At what age would my child attend kindergarten or transitional kindergarten (TK)?

A: If your child turns 5 years old on or before September 1st of the school year they would attend kindergarten. If they turn 5 years old between September 2nd and December 2nd of the school year they may attend TK. If they turn 5 years old between December

2nd and December 31st of the school year they may attend our half year TK program (limited spots are available).


Q: If I want my child to attend a school other than my school of residence, what do I do?

A: Register your Kinder student at your school of residence and complete a Transfer Request Form online. This form will be available on the MHUSD Enrollment Center webpage beginning January 10, 2019.

Q: I will be buying a house in the MHUSD attendance area this summer and I want to enroll my student. Can I enroll my student now?

A: We accept registration from parents who can provide a purchase agreement or an escrow agreement prior to actually moving into their residence. Otherwise, you will need to wait until you can provide proof of residence.

Q: I want to have my student assessed for possible SPED services. Can I start that process now?

A: A written request for assessment for any child 3 years or older can be given to your school of residence. If your child qualifies, you will need to complete online enrollment to receive services.


Q: I want my kinder to go to DIME. Why should I go Kinder Roundup?

A: Attending the Roundup gives parents general information about getting their child ready for TK or Kinder and gives them a chance to pick up a priority enrollment packet for their school of residence. All enrollment begins at your school of residence. Parents can then attend a DIME orientation and sign a commitment letter if they wish to participate in the program. Families will be notified of acceptance into the DIME program by March 29, 2019 . DIME families who are coming from outside of district will need to complete an Inter-District Transfer request form.


Q: My student attends a SDC Class, which school will they attend for Kindergarten?
A: Your student will have their next school determined by their IEP at the end of this school year.


Q: If I have questions that are not covered in this document, who do I contact?

A: All enrollment questions can be answered by our Enrollment Center staff who can be reached at 408-201-6030 or